Nov 30, 2010

Meet the YOWLI 2010 Participants (I)


Noreen Mukhwana Mutoro - Kenya - 22 years
My name is Noreen Mukhwana Mutoro and I come from Nairobi, Kenya. I am a 3rd year student at the University of Nairobi doing Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management and Conservation. I am 22 years old, vivacious and with a joie de vivre attitude. I was born on the 24th of May 1988 and I am the 6th born in a family of seven. 

My true passion lies in languages and nature. I enjoy learning new languages, new vocabulary and writing or reading quotes. So far, my favorite foreign language is French. I also speak Swahili which is our national language, English and a bit of my mother tongue, Luhya. Everything about nature fascinates me. 

The current project I am working on, together with my community group, involves the making of traditional baskets and all purpose bags, using eco-friendly materials and labor from the locals. This project would help to reduce the use of plastic bags in our community which have become one of the leading causes of environmental pollution. It was also provide job employment for the youth who we plan to train to make our products and last but not least, it will preserve the culture in our community as people would return to use traditional baskets like in the olden days. From our profits, we plan to set recycling bins in designated areas around the town. 

David Takawira - Zimbabwe - 25 years
I am a realist driven by facts, values and ethics as embroilment of character. I value the sanctity of life and equal opportunities in life. I am conscious of the existence, meaning, purpose, potential and destiny of humankind, people, and self. I am motivated by a self-felt, self-accepted calling to the cause of good, growth, and gain in the lives of others. Influential communication of ideas is a primary way of achieving those objectives. My perception and thinking tend to be holistic and conceptual, by seeing the big picture and moving strategically towards it.

My mission is to nurture, contribute to and initiate actions that lead to empowerment and a sense of purpose in my life and that of others. I therefore undertake to promote, inspire and partner with others in striving for development and equality in all cultures, classes, genders and ages. I am thus committed to transforming people and building the capacity of organizations for better development implementation to benefit deprived communities in Zimbabwe, Africa and ultimately the world.


I have a niche for Democracy, Governance, Leadership, Partner Engagement and Human Rights especially Economic, Social and Cultural rights. 

Eunice Kirunda Nsaire - Uganda - 24 years
As principle researcher at Uganda Development Link, Eunice Nsaire works on gender, human traficking and sexual reproductive health and rights (SRHR) issues with youth in Uganda's slums. She has worked in collaboration with some U.N. agencies as a social worker and helped launch a drug and substance abuse project targeting youth in schools. Additionally, she trains youth on HIV/AIDS and provides them with practical vocational skills and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment